It’s Groundhog Day. We are officially halfway through winter. Last week Anne, at Modern Mrs. Darcy, challenged everyone to make a list of what’s saving your life right now. I’m not gonna lie, winter is a rough time for me – January especially. Historically, January in my family has not brought the best moments. Add to that, less daylight and cold yucky weather. By the end of January, I keep telling myself that I’ve just got to push through to spring. I’m happiest when I can soak up sunshine and play in the dirt. Here’s my list:
- Watching my baby succulents take root and grow.
- A change of scenery: leaving town for the day or an extended period of time, or even checking out a new (to me) restaurant or store.
- Planning a trip. It seems like lately I’ve been planning trips that I don’t end up taking, but sometimes the planning is enough.
- Good Coffee. Coffee has become my main vice and I’ve turned into a bit of a coffee snob. My current favorite is Jim’s Sweet Love.
- My happy light. I have this set up next to my computer on my desk at home. It’s not the same as real sunshine but it helps during those especially dreary weeks.
- Seeking out things that make me laugh: mostly long conversations with a funny friend or watching my favorite sitcoms. I often find myself rewatching my favorites this time of year: Better Off Ted (especially Racial Sensitivity & Jabberwocky); Designing Women; As Time Goes By; and most recently Life in Pieces.
- Grabbing sunshine and fresh air when I can. The good thing about living in Oklahoma is that the weather is always changing. We can have beautiful 75° days in the middle of the winter. When we do, I try to spend as much time outside as possible.
- Exercise. I prefer to do my exercise outside so when the weather doesn’t cooperate it can be a little difficult. Sometimes I just have to settle for long walks in the Underground. I have heard a rumor that the Boathouse offers free memberships to people with Blue Cross insurance. Now that I finally have my insurance card, I’m going to have to look into that.
- Eating healthy with the occasional treat. My body and mind feel best when I’m eating healthy, but I can’t turn down a piece of pie from Pie Junkie. I’ve found the occasional treat doesn’t hurt me and because I indulge infrequently, it’s a serious treat.
- Podcasts and Audiobooks. Currently my favorite podcasts are: 99% Invisible; Happier; Criminal; and Masters of Money. I always feel like I learned something when I listen. I love knowledge, in fact I yearn for it (a little Designing Women reference for you).
- Mastering a skill. I’ve been doing a lot of lettering practice over the last few weeks. It’s my meditation, plus I’m improving which always feels good.
- Staying curious. I think it can be really easy to just hole up and not do much in the winter. I have to remind myself to stay curious. In this day and age you don’t even have to leave your house. You can surf the internet to search for the answers to questions that have been plaguing you, buy a kindle book, or even take a class online. I’ve been doing a lot of Skillshare this winter.
What’s saving your life this winter?